Thursday, January 13, 2011

Explained

I feel I must explain myself. I recently posted that I agree with Sarah Palin after watching this video. In deed I do agree with her, but not in whole only in part. I feel we live in a society that thrives on instant information. And this need and access to/for instant information has brought us to a point where peoples words are more important then ever.

In the past, a little over 15 years ago, you would hear about a tragedy across the country or across the globe with in days of it's happening. If the tragedy were monumental you would hear about it instantly if you happen to be watching TV at the time. Otherwise you might see a clip of it or hear a mention of it during the evening news. Beyond that you would read about it in that weeks paper if it were enough of a mention for it to be printed in your local paper.

Now I'm not saying the recent shooting was not horrible and tragic, but was it monumental? Did it compare to such tragedies as the Oklahoma City bombing or the bombing at the twin towers or the attacks of 9/11? By no means would anyone put this shooting on the same scale as 9/11. Yet most of the country knew about the shooting with in a day at least and have been discussing it ever since. We even had a Presidential announcement about it.

My point is journalists, and that includes bloggers, need to be aware of the words they use to describe news. We need to be aware of where we are pointing our collective fingers and what impact that action has. We need to be responsible individuals and think before we speak.

I have no love for Sarah Palin and it tears me up in side to agree with her even in part. Yet here I am defending her even though I disagree with most everything that comes out of her mouth.

And to answer the question of whether or not a "Blood libel" hurt Sarah Palins run for Vice President. No. Sarah Palin hurt Sarah Palin's chances to become VP.

-Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment